Friday, September 24, 2010
This is a homemade rice-jaggery crispty sweet from India. Best served as a evening snack.
Items required --
Murmura(Borugulu or Puff Rice)
In a big, sturdy, thick-bottomed vessel, add water and jaggery. Cook on medium-high heat. Jaggery melts and begins to concentrate. Adding cardamom powder as optional. When it starts foaming, it reached the consistency we want for this recipe. To test, add few drops of jaggery syrup to the cold water. When pushed with fingers, if the syrup can be rolled to a round and keeps share without melting in spite of tilting the plate to different directions, it is done and the syrup is ready. This whole process takes about 15 to 20 minutes.
Turn off the heat. Remove the pot from the stove. Now take a bowl filled with Murmura. Pour the jaggery syrup prepared on to this murmura proportionately(It will not yeild good results if you do it other way, pouring murmura into jaggery syrup). Mix it well. Now start making laddus(round balls). Keep making your hands wet once every ball is prepared.
Wait for about 5 minutes for murmura-jaggery mixture to cool down and then start making laddus. Take a spoonful of mixture into hands and press gently into round shape. Keep a bowl of cold water on the side. Dip your hands in-between laddu making to keep hands unsticky and cool. Or ladle off the whole mixture into a greased pan. Press firmly and evenly. Cut into squares and let it cool. Break along the lines to separate the pieces. Makes about 12 medium sized laddus or squares.
Hope you enjoy making it...
Thursday, September 16, 2010
I just got this from Ria's blog. Thought of doing it.
Rule - Answer should be only in ONE WORD.
1. Where is your cell phone? Pocket
2. Your hair? Black
3. Your mother? Lovable
4. Your father? Inspiring
5. Your favorite food? Indian
6. Your dream last night? None
7. Your favorite drink? Buttermilk
8. Your dream/goal? Singer/Singer
9. Where are you? Office
10. Your hobby? Music
11. Your fear? God
12. Where do u want to be in 6 yrs? USA
13. Where were you last night? Home
14. Something that you aren't? Rude
15. Muffins? English
16. Wish list item? Switzerland
17. Where did you grow up? Hyderabad
18. Last thing you did? Blog
19. What are you wearing? Indo-western
20. Your TV? 36''
21. Your pets? None
22. Friends? Valuable
23. Your life? Interesting
24. Your mood? Normal
25. Missing someone? Nephew
26. Car? RAV4
27. Something you're not wearing? Shoe
28. Your favorite store? Daddu's
29. Your favorite music? Anything
30. The last time you laughed? 12:45 PM
31. Last time you cried? Nope
32. You hate? R's
33. One place that you go all the time? Winco :)
34. One person who emails you regularly? Sandeep
35. My favorite place on earth? Hyderabad
I will pass this to few people I know. Please feel free to take it up.